Friday, March 2, 2012

Advertisement as my Career


Advertisement in a way fell into my lap while at North Dakota State University. Here is my story.

I came to pursuing a career in advertising in a round about way. I came to North Dakota State University with my degree declared as environmental design also known as architecture. I was set that I would earn my degree and become an architect. At about the half waypoint of my degree I decided I really did not want to be an architect anymore.

I found that I loved the visual aspect of my degree and wanted to direct my future path in that direction. I decided I wanted do work more as a graphic designer and when I think of what they do, the first thing to come to mind is someone who works with and creates advertisements. So I went and filled out the paperwork to declare my minor in public relations and advertising.

I am very happy that I made that decision and very excited to see where this combination of education will bring me in my future.

The job market that I am planning to enter when I finish school is the design side of advertisement.  This profession is very competitive. On the positive side, the job market, for advertising, is predicted to grow 13% from 2008 to 2013. Here are some additional facts about job availability.

-The highest paid graphic designers live in San Francisco and San Jose.
-The highest concentration of graphic designers is in New York City
-Presently there are over 200,000 individuals in this profession nationwide with 124,800 jobs expected to open in the next 10 years.

Below is a graph showing salaries seen within this profession.

The profession of advertisement is not only growing but also has seen a shift in how it is created and used due to the changes of our interaction with the Internet.

Misty Belardo, the Senior Project Manager at Barefoot Proximity in Cincinnati, Ohio described this trend as, “Gone are the days when we have to wait for information. People get their information fast and in real time. They are spending more and more time online. Advertisers and brands need to see that.”

If you are not aware of what the trends are in your market you are going to fall short. Change is a good thing, and happens a lot in the world of advertising, so you need to make sure to keep on top of what is happening at all times.

My dream is to use all my knowledge from all my schooling to create advertisements that are on the cutting edge. I know in order to do that I am going to have to adapt to the changes within the industry and be willing to work hard.

Watch out New York City, advertisement capital of the world, I will be there before you know it to make a big and positive presence in the ever-changing world of advertisement.  

Below is a clip that illustrates how the internet has changed advertising.


No comments:

Post a Comment